Chit funds in India are governed by various state or central laws. Organised chit fund schemes are required to register with the Registrar or Firms, Societies and Chits.
- Union Government – Chit Funds Act 1982 (Except the State of Jammu and Kashmir)
- Kerala: Kerala Chitties Act 1975
- Tamil Nadu: Tamil Nadu Chit Funds Act, 1961
- Karnataka: The Chit Funds (Karnataka) Rules, 1983
- Andhra Pradesh: The Andhra Pradesh Chit Funds Act, 1971
- New Delhi: The Chit Funds Act,1982 and Delhi Chit Funds Rules, 2007
- Maharashtra: Maharashtra Chit Fund Act 1975